CAT (Common Admission Test) is a management aptitude test conducted by the IIMS primarily to evaluate and shortlist candidates for the Post graduate programme. It is a computer based exam available for the eligible candidates to register and take once a year. This, year, CAT 2016 exam will be conducted by IIM Bangalore for admission to the academic session 2017-2018. The exam will be held in two sessions on one day that is on 04th December, 2016 (forenoon and afternoon sessions).
The final selection of the candidates will be done on the basis of Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD) followed by Personal Interviews (PI) round.
1. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Essential Academic Qualification –
1. Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks (for General and NC-OBC) or equivalent CGPA [45% for the candidates belonging to Schedule Caste (SC), Schedule Tribe (ST) and Persons with Disability (PWD) Categories], awarded by any university or educational institution as incorporated by an Act of the parliament or State legislature in India or declared to be deemed as a university under section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the ministry of HRD, Government of India.
2. Candidates appearing for the final year of Bachelor’s Degree / equivalent qualification examination and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting for their results can also apply. However, it may be noted that such candidates, if selected, will be allowed to join the programme provisionally, only if they submit a certificate from the Principal / Registrar of their university / Institution (issued on or before the date as stipulated by the respective IIM) stating that they have completed all the requirements for obtaining the Bachelor’s Degree / equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of certificate.
1. The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice as followed by the respective University/Institution. In case of grades / CGPA, the conversion to percentage of marks would be based on the procedure as certified by the respective University/ institution. If any University/institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidate’s CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA, and multiplying the result with 100.
2. IIMs will verify eligibility at various stages of the selection process. Candidates should note that mere fulfillment of minimum eligibility criteria will not ensure consideration for shortlisting by IIMS.
2. How To Apply
Applicants can register for CAT 2016 exam on the official site between August 08th, 2016 and 5:00 PM on September 27th, 2016.
Pre-Requisites for applying online, before registering candidates must –
1. Check your eligibility for CAT 2016 by referring to the Eligibility document on the website.
2. Ensure that you have a valid and unique email address and phone number.
3. “*” (asterisk) indicates a mandatory field. The boxes marked with this symbol must be filled in or you will not be allowed to submit your application for CAT 2016.
4. Gather all the information you will need for filling the form beforehand such as:
- Education History
- Mark Sheets (10th/12th/Degree/Diploma)
- Work Experience
- Applicable Certificates to upload
- Scanned images of your passport size photo and signature. (The Photo should not be more than six months old and should have a white background).
- List of the IIM Programmes to which you are applying.
For complete information on Online registration and application process visit official website of CAT iimcat.ac.in
At the time of registration, Candidates will have to select any four test cities as per their preference. Test cities and centres will be assigned to the candidates only after the last date of registration and hence candidates need not rush to block slots and sites in the initial days of registration.
Candidates must pay the registration fee through online mode only, including Credit Card, Debit Card, and Net Banking.
3. Application Fee and Intimation Charges:(Non-Refundable)
|1||SC/ST/PWD||Rs.850/- (Intimation Charges only)|
|2||General, NC-OBC||Rs.1700/- (Fee including intimation charges)|
Applicants may note that the registration fee needs to be paid in online mode using Credit/Debit card or Net banking and the fee can be paid only once, irrespective of the number of institutes he/she is applying for. SC/ST and PWD candidates must upload a copy of their ST/SC/PWD certificates at the time of registration. After, successful submission of application, candidates will be permitted to download their admit cards from 24th October 2016, till the day of exam i.e 04th December, 2016.
CAT Exam Syllabus
CAT 2016 exam syllabus is split into the following sections –
1. Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension – questions will based upon from the language, RC’s, Vocabulary (Synonyms and Antonyms), Grammar and Sentence Correction, fill in the blanks, para jumbles.
2. Quantitative Ability – questions will be based upon number systems, LCM and HCF, trigonometry, Time & Work, averages, percentages, Profit and Loss, Geometry, Quadratic Equation, linear equation, Permutation and combination, probability, Mixtures and Alligations, Co-ordinate Geometry.
3. Data Interpretation – Interpretation and analysis of data based on tables, graphs (bar graphs), charts (line, pie charts), Venn Diagrams.
4. Logical Reasoning – questions will be based upon Number and Letter Series, Blood Relations, seating arrangement, syllogism, logical sequence.
CAT Exam Pattern
CAT 2016 examination will be held in online mode. Candidates will be allotted exactly 60 minutes for answering questions in each section and they cannot switch from one section to another while answering questions in one particular section. Also, some questions in each section may not be of multiple choice type. Instead, direct answers are to be typed on the screen. For each correct answer +3 marks will be allotted and -1 will be deducted for every wrong answer, no marks will be provided to questions that are not answered.
Name of Test
No. of Questions
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||34||102||60|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||32||96||60|
*(Applicants may note that the pattern shown above is CAT 2015 emam’s pattern).
Online registration for CAT including edit/modification of application by candidates
|08th August 2016, 10:00 AM to 27th September 2016, 5:00 PM|
|Download Call-letter for CAT 2016 Exam||24th October 2016 (Monday), 1:00 PM till Exam Day|
|Test Date||04th December 2016 (Sunday)|
|Declaration of Results||2nd Week of January 2017 (Tentative)|
In case, of any changes in the CAT Exam schedule candidates will be intimated in advance by placing a notice on the website iimcat.ac.in
To attempt Free CAT Test Papers refer to the Eduwhere section